Asian Soup with Salmon and Kale

 I have had a glimpse of how it is to be in the TV series Masterchef. I mean the moment when participants open a Mystery Box, they can see ingredients and quickly have to decide what they are going to cook. Some of them play it safe and make something they have done before. Others take a risk and play it by ear or – rather in this context – by their taste.

In my case, my Mystery Box was my fridge and the kitchen cabinets before I went shopping. That's usually the time when there were still many – but often random – ingredients not necessarily meant for a particular meal. Additionally, everybody was getting hungry, so I didn’t have all the time in the world to think what to cook and then cook it. My first idea was the safe one: stir fry. But then I thought that even though I love stir fries, I should go for something different. So I cooked this healthy Soup with Salmon and Kale instead.

I included in it ingredients that are typical in Asia: ginger, chilli, soya and fish sauce. White wine might not be the obvious choice, rice wine would probably be better, but I didn’t have it then. Overall the combination of flavours in the stock worked so well. And the addition of salmon, noodles and kale made it a complete meal a whole family could enjoy on a busy weekday evening when nobody had hours to cook, and nobody wanted to wait for hours to eat!

INGREDIENTS :
  • 400 g salmon fillet (skinless and boneless ), cut into 2 cm cubes
  • 1 tsp sesame oil.
  • 1.5 l vegetable stock
  • 5 tbsp white wine
  • 2 tbsp soya sauce
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • chilli flakes
  • 3 tsp grated ginger.
  • 150 g kale (without stems), thorn into small pieces
  • 150 g bean sprouts
  • 100 g Chinese/wok noodles.
  • An image showing Asian Soup with Salmon and Kale with bean sprouts in a white bowl with kale next to it on a wooden surface.

INSTRUCTIONS :
  1. Put the salmon cubes into a bowl, add the sesame oil, stir well and let it marinate until you need it.
  2. Heat up the vegetable stock, add the white wine, soya and fish sauces, chilli flakes and ginger.
  3. When the spiced stock is boiling, add the Chinese noodles (you may break them into smaller pieces, so it will be easier to eat the soup), bring to boil, add the salmon and kale and cook for 2 minutes.
  4. Serve the soup with bean sprouts.
Next Post Previous Post