For the pesto
- 2 raw broccoli stems, chopped into large pieces
- ⅓ cup pine nuts (you can round this to 5 Tblsps if you're not a measuring cup kind of household)
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- Bunch of fresh herbs (I like a combo of basil and cilantro)
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 350g / 12oz bucatini or another pasta of your choice
- Broccoli florets (everything left from the two heads of broccoli you de-stemmed for the pesto)
- Sundried or semi-dried tomatoes, for garnish
- Make the pesto by combining all of the ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper. (I usually start by pulsing the broccoli stems, pine nuts and garlic a few times before adding in the liquid ingredients and herbs.)
- Boil pasta according to package instructions, adding the broccoli florets to the pan 2-3 minutes before the pasta is ready.
- Drain pasta and broccoli and return to the pan.
- Add the pesto and stir through over a very low heat.
- Serve topped with sundried tomatoes.