Lemon Poppyseed Cake

You'll chill the cake with the crumb coat for about 30 minutes--long enough to the crumb coat to stiffen so you can begin decorating the cake with the remaining frosting. I was going for a rough textured look, but I got whatever THIS is:

It's not bad, but it's not really what I was trying to accomplish. WHATEVER.

I'm really excited to "be back." (I'm using air quotes because even though I don't have plans to disappear again, I like to keep my options open.) I hope you are too. I mean, look--I even made you cake!!

For the cake
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups cake flour
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
zest of 1 lemon
5 egg whites

For the lemon curd
4 egg yolks (use the ones from the eggs whites in the cake!)
1/2 cup sugar
zest of 2-3 lemons
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1/8 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled

For the frosting
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 block of cream cheese, room temperature
5 cups powdered sugar
juice from half a lemon
1 tsp. vanilla
See More Here
Next Post Previous Post